New Member with a massive space ship

An experimental collective of alien objects. For MOCs with clones and random space debris.

New Member with a massive space ship

Postby ELCH » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:47 am

Hello to everybody,

this is now the first time that I show something of my MOCs. As you will see, it is a mixture of Lego and Mega Bloks. I will understand that there are many complains about it but for me it is simply the fun to build. There is no real story behind, but I call it "advanced classic space". So here are some figures:
Length: 314 studs (2,45 m)
Width: 86 studs
Height of construction: 56 bricks
48 crew members (there are enough sleeping places)
24+ fighters and ships on board

There are a few more images on brickshelf [url=hyperlink url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=303272[/url].

If someone wants to know more, send me an e-mail or visit my more detailed gallery (with interior images): [url=hyperlink url]http://www.bertel-mann.de/naspace/?album=AircraftCarrier_A1[/url]
There can't be enough bricks!
ELCH

RE: New Member with a massive space ship

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am

Mega Bloks!? BLASPHEMY! Actually it's OK, especially when A) you can't really see them and B) the MOC they're used in is as cool as this. The fighters should be all-LEGO, though -- they're small enough that the megabloks parts really stand out, and you could more or less get the same appearance with LEGO pieces. I like the big, hulking appearance that you get with the pattern of ridges in the hull. Welcome to CSF!
Theblackdog

Postby EarthenDragon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 am

Wow. I visited your site to get a more detailed view (of the interior etc). That is a massive amount of effort using classic building techniques. Contemporary lego design (and purity) aesthetics aside, I think you did a great job creating what looks like a really involved and heartfelt creation. Hell, it's its own SHIP, diorama, and playset!

Personally, it doesn't bother me so much that you've included non-lego aspects. I think it might if you had created something of less grand ambition, but it seems to me that you set out to create a huge piece of imagination that you spend many good hours playing with and enjoying. And, in that sense, who cares what tasteful mix of branded plastic its made of?

Great job man! This whole thing is an awesome display of work and talent. I abstain from commenting on your gender-specific (non-combat) employment opportunities. [razz]

EDIT: grammar. :P
EarthenDragon

Postby Waldemar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Congrats!

I am - as everybody else, I think - admiring the new art of building spacecrafts, prominently the "Ghoul" or Dan Jassim's "Explorer". The aesthetics of your ship are very much simpler, yet they do work in this case. Bulky and compact, this carrier actually looks like the powerhouse he's supposed to be.

First, I thought that such a big pile of bricks with a very sturdy design and no construction "gimmicks" wasn't specifically impressive. Then, however, I slowly discovered that in the case of your ship, the MOC really represented a whole world and was the result of careful deliberation and thought. This spacecraft is one of the most deeply themed and immersive structures out there, although it takes a second look to discover it. The only bigger ship I am aware of that manages to create such a degree of thematic immersion is the "Explorer".

And now, get rid of the Mega Bloks... [wink]
Waldemar

Postby januson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:27 pm

awesome level of detail, internal and external

i almost never have the patience to build things so big
januson

Postby Jefferson0937 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:52 pm

januson wrote:
awesome level of detail, internal and external

i almost never have the patience to build things so big

I never have the bricks to build something so big

I really like the texture and the octagonal shape.

I think it needs beefier engines, It feels more like a building or a satellite than a ship to me.
"Every Lego has it's place" Garrett
"There are no useless legos, only useless people" Jefferson
Jefferson0937

Postby wusmand » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:57 pm

MEGA BLOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, jk
Brick beats braun!
wusmand

Postby Zaphyr » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Ok so i was a little worried when i read there was mega bloks mixed in, but i honestly cannot see them and this is a really cool SHIP. so i guess for once i will say that i like your mutant infested SHIP, and also...Welcome to the family!
-Nich
Zaphyr

Postby ELCH » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome,

but Zaphyr, only 20 % is Lego! And now a little feedback for Jefferson0937, I didn't wanted to have beefier engines, I thought it needs something more laid-back. But you know, as long as it will fly everything is OK (at least once, when I will start to scrap it)!

Elch
There can't be enough bricks!
ELCH

Postby D-Accel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:53 pm

I may sugest that since this a mix project it is moved to Mutant Hive?
-Sometimes it pays to not have said anything-
D-Accel

Next

Return to Mutant Hive